Saturday I drove an hour to Boulder to visit with my friends Andrew and Ryan. Both graduated from APU. Ryan has lived in Boulder for a year and Andrew was just dropping by for a weekend visit as part of a road trip home to CA from NY (they are brothers by the way). I spent the day with them, starting at the Boulder Farmers Market where Ryan sells Hope Hummus. He founded the company a few months ago and it has taken off! The market was super busy and the perfect spot to people watch. After the market wrapped up we headed to grab a drink with Andrew's friend who is accompanying him on his road trip. It was then decided to play a pickup game of basketball with a bunch of Ryan's friends. It was hilarious, no one was that great so I didn't feel too guilty for missing every basket ;) The altitude definitely hit me hard though, it was difficult to continue running for a long period of time. After the game we went to see the X-Men movie which was pretty good for all you sci-fi fans! Overall it was a long and fun day in the beautiful Colorado sun.
Today I am headed out on an adventure with Molly downtown and to her sister's BBQ for dinner. Will update later.
How I'm feeling about this summer...It was great to be back with the Deardorfs. They both are such wonderful people, I feel right at home and instantly at ease when talking with them. I have to admit, I have been nervous about my summer adventure and beginning my internship with Nisoft. Doug (and the company) has given me such an enormous gift of this internship and a home to live in. My deepest concern is being able to make it worth their time and effort. I am so grateful for the gift, I want to reciprocate with working hard and making them proud. Mom and dad have been encouraging me, reminding me that I am an intern and the company understands that I am not prepared with the experience or knowledge to jump right in as a full-functioning employee. I'm working on reducing the self-inflicted pressure! After talking with Doug for a bit about my trip to Ireland and the weekly schedules that have been created for me, I felt more at ease about this summer. I am excited!
Regarding the scheduling of this summer...My first day of work is tomorrow (yikes!). And yes, I already have my outfit picked out :) I will be working this entire week at the Denver office. Doug will actually only be in the States through Tuesday morning. He will help me through my first day in the office then he takes off for Abu Dhabi and Amsterdam until he meets me in Ireland. Rachel is also in NY this week, so I have the house to myself! It will be quite the first week!
Ireland is booked for Monday, June 13. I arrive in Belfast 9AM the morning of the 14th. From there I will be taken to the apartment they have set up a room for me in. Colin Walsh, a Nisoft employee owns the apartment and is renting it out to a young couple. They have graciously given me a room to stay in while I am visiting. After I get settled and cleaned up I will be taken directly to the office to begin work. Let's hope the espresso's strong in Ireland!
I am scheduled to be in Belfast from the 14-25 of June. Doug will be there most of my stay. I believe he flies back to Denver 4 days before I depart. I am very excited for this part of my internship! I have been looking up and practicing my Irish slang, hoping to insert a few words or phrases into my language when I first get to Ireland.
So far this is what I have learned:
"A wee bit" is commonly used instead of "a little bit." Doug said I will probably find myself saying this even when back in Denver.
"Afters" means "dessert," which I plan on having some of during my trip!
"Alan wickers" AKA "keep your alans (knickers) on", meaning "calm down." I'm sure I will be silently telling myself this when I have no clue what's going on or when I get lost. Both are bound to happen :)
"Bogs" are "public toilets." Grandma, I'm taking your advice and will first learn where the bathrooms are before I do anything else.
"Howya?" is the typical greeting for "How are you?"
"Undy-grundy" is equivalent to a "wedgie." Let's hope that doesn't happen.
All the best! (that's how they say bye in Belfast)
No comments:
Post a Comment