"Data dump" is a phrase I have been hearing a fair amount of over the past week at work. It means something technical and boring, but the name "data dump" seems to perfectly symbolize what my days have consisted of. A lot of data being dumped on me!
Despite the enormous amount of information presented to me, my first week at NiSoft was wonderful. It was a bit hard to adjust to a work schedule again, after having a month to sleep in and relax! Waking up at 5am on Monday to take Rachel to the airport before work was exhausting. I was struggling to stay awake throughout the day, but managed to absorb as much information as possible. Right away Monday morning, I had a conference call with Chris, Linda, and Andy in Belfast! It was so exciting to talk with them about my upcoming week. It was fun to hear their accents too. A few of their accents are really strong, which will make it interesting to communicate with them next week! Anyways, I received a schedule of my first three weeks at NiSoft. I am eager to begin those projects but I was grateful to jump right into the company and begin working this week!
Before I could get started on any projects it was important for me to understand what exactly our company does. I had studied the website trying to understand our company but still didn't have a full understanding. I spent many hours this week learning exactly what our software is used for. I even had the opportunity to sit in on some conference calls with customers, explaining how our product could be specialized to their needs. After this week of meetings and information sessions I completely understand our company and have a new appreciation for this realm of work!
(We sell safety software to companies that operate power plants. We have a "lockout/tagout" software that ensures that machines are properly shut off and not started up again before the maintenance or service work is completed. Our software creates the documents used in this safety procedure and tailor them to the desires of the companies.)
Some of the various projects I worked on this week include data archiving, creating reports abo
ut possible customers, conference calls with Irish coworkers and customers, and critiquing my coworkers' presentations of the eclipseII software. It was a blast, I have really been enjoying my time here!
Last night I had the opportunity to go to the beautiful Red Rocks Amphitheater and see a Michael Jackson impersonator! Doug and Rachel had bought tickets for the show but had to travel last minute. They gave me the tickets so Molly and I ventured out and had a blast! The crowd was so diverse, which made it a fun experience. Too, you can't really beat the gorgeous natural venue! We even got to experience a lightening show during the concert. It was amazing!
Tomorrow I will be preparing for my Ireland trip. I have a few tasks to work on while I'm over there. I am so excited to head over there, my first business trip!
Last Sunday I went to the Denver chalk festival. It was incredible!
The artists were so talented.
Did I mention I have my OWN office at NiSoft?! I feel so professional! :)
The gorgeous Red Rocks Amphitheater.
No comments:
Post a Comment