Thursday, July 21, 2011

piles

This week has been defined by piles.

I started out the week sick, therefore I was buried under a pile of tissues. I had a low-key weekend and I think that relaxing for a couple days allowed my body to let down its guard and the sick germs flooded my system! It was a good reminder to rest and catch up on reading and sleep.

After heading back to work on Tuesday, I found myself presented with many new projects to work on. Piles of projects. I guess word got out that room was going to be opening up in my schedule and many people took advantage of that! It has been great to be used though. This week I have made two new Orgnization Charts for the company. One is more department-based while the other is more region-based. Doug liked both. I have scheduled a conference call for Monday morning to meet with a few of my coworkers in Belfast to get their input and explain the process behind creating the charts. I sent out the Outlook invite meeting this afternoon and little did I know the system auto-corrects the time according to the recipients timezone. So my nice effort to go ahead and change the time for them turned into me inviting them to a meeting in the middle of the night their time! Oops!

This week I also put together a full IT Asset inventory for the Denver office. I do not want to look at another serial number for a long time! I recorded each and every mouse, computer, keyboard, phone, scanner, projector, etc. that we have in the office. It's crazy how much stuff we have that I just don't notice!

My online summer internship class ended this week as well. I had piles of homework to finish this weekend, that I possibly could have timed better and spread out throughout the month....but I didn't! Oh well! It was a relief when that was finished. One of the assignments for that class was to create an online resume on www.resume.com. I posted mine at the end of last week. As a result I have had piles (not really, a small pile of three) of interview invitations waiting for me in my email inbox! The next morning I woke up with two offers, one from Aetna health insurance and one from Eastlake Views, a real estate company in Seattle. A few days later I woke up with another email in my inbox! This time from Global Finance, an online financial magazine. The positions I had been invited to interview for are mainly administrative assistant positions including data entry, payroll, customer service tasks, and some human resource tasks. I was pretty excited to see some feedback already! It was quite encouraging.

I had quite the excitement this week weather-wise as well. Doug and Rachel are out-of-town this week so naturally we get pounded with the worst storm I have ever experienced while I am home alone! On my drive home from work it started raining so hard that cars had to pull over on the side of the road and wait. You could not see the lines at all and when you got close enough to the curb, a wall of water shot up from under your tire. It was nuts! Also, the thunder and lightening was incredible. As I left the super market they wouldn't let anyone out with a shopping cart to eliminate the possibility of getting struck by lightening. Running out to my car, I soaked through my clothes and couldn't see out of my glasses from all the droplets of rain! Eventually I made my way home, walked in so relieved to be in the house, ready to start dinner and relax....I hit the light switch in the laundry room and nothing goes on. Great! I am experiencing lightening and thunder that shakes the house, rain that makes me consider building a boat in case of Flood 2, and now the power is out (I'm very scared of the dark)! I search for candles and flashlights, finding nothing but tiny fake candles that have a very dim "flame" on them. Cool, I am in store for a very romantic, but terrifying evening with myself. After calling mom multiple times throughout a couple hours, the power finally went back on. I was so relieved!

This week has been quite the week but I am still trying to soak up the last month I have here in Colorado and at NiSoft. SO much to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment